Why do I need a proper Skincare Regime and Products?
Every single Woman, Man and Teenager needs to have a proper skincare regime and use effective skincare products.
As we age the cells in our body called Fibroblasts (building blocks for a healthy skin) start to degenerate and our skin loses collagen and elastin. This, in turn, causes the signs of ageing to become more visible, along with an overall loss of skin texture and the development of an uneven skin tone.
By introducing a good skin care regime at a young age, you can help to slow down the ageing process, manage existing conditions, and prevent further damage to the skin.
What Elements contribute to damaged, pigmented and aged skin?
On a daily basis, we are exposed environmental and lifestyle factors such as: polluted air, harmful sunlight, air conditioners, exposure to Fluorescent lights, alcohol, smoking, poor nutrition, and the lack of exercise. All these elements contribute to the premature ageing of our skin.
Infra-red and UV light causes hyper pigmentation which leads to cell damage. From your late thirties this slowly comes to the surface as blotchy patches on your skin.
Hormonal changes such as experienced during pregnancy may also contribute to forms of pigmentation and in certain cases can cause a condition called Chloasma (dark, blotchy, brown, confetti-like patches of skin on your forehead, upper lip, and cheeks).
Can this damage caused by Environmental factors be treated by using Skincare products?
Absolutely! With the correct Skincare used daily, damage caused to the skin can be improved by means of applying products that are specifically suited to your skin.
There is a variety of products to treat Ageing, Pigmentated, Sensitive, Acneic/ Problematic skin and many other skin concerns and conditions.
What does a complete Skincare Regime consist of?
A home Skincare Regime should consist of at least the following products:
- Cleanser: To remove all the dirt and bacteria that accumulates during the day and to restore your skin’s pH, protecting it from harmful bacteria.
- Eye Therapy: To be used morning and evening, depending on the concern you have. Whether you have puffy eyes, dark circles, or lines and wrinkles there is an eye treatment for each of these. When used correctly, you can achieve excellent results.
- Serums: There are different serums for day or night use depending on the condition and concern of the individual. Serums are skin enhancers and work on the deeper layers of the skin to achieve optimal results.
- Day Moisturizer: Preferably look for a daily moisturizer that has an SPF of at least 15 – 30. The combination of an anti-ageing cream with the SPF not only helps to slow down signs of ageing but also protect your skin from UV damage.
- Night Moisturizer: A night moisturizer is a must for the skin because when we sleep our body is more receptive to the ‘active’ ingredients of the products, improving its efficiency. Night treatments are generally thicker in consistency and have a higher concentration of ‘active’ ingredients to reduce the signs of ageing and plump the skin to look more youthful.
How do I know what Skincare products will suit my skin?
The best way to ensure that you get the products best suited to your specific skin type and skin concern is to consult with a Qualified Professional Aesthetician or Doctor. They will do a skin analysis to determine what your problem areas are and which products and Skin treatments will benefit your skin the most.
It is always an advantage to consider having a Skin Peel in combination with your skincare products. This will improve your results and efficacy of your home care.
Remember only Shar-pei puppies look adorable with lots of furrows and wrinkles.
Written by: Shereen October 2014