“The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.”
This really is quite the statement and pretty wise words thanks to Edward Bulwer-Lytton in 1839. I wonder if he knew how right he was about the pen because we would have to agree. These days the tight faced, unrecognisable surgical treatments are phasing out more and more, and less aggressive yet effective aesthetic treatments are more popular than ever. I would like to compare the “sword” to a plastic surgeon’s scalpel; harsh, invasive and in some cases causing long term damage and irreversible botch ups. Thank goodness that time is forever changing and that new and improved methods of anti-ageing procedures are available. Thank goodness for the “Mighty Pen” – the Dermapen®.
Dermapen®’s advanced skin needling technology uses multiple needles that vertically pierce the skin with an automatic vibrating motion. When moved across the skin’s surface it stimulates natural collagen reproduction, whilst allowing fine channels to be created in the skin. The concept of needling is to cause a controlled ‘injury’ to the dermis, which in turn stimulates the body’s natural collagen production as it begins the process of healing. It’s a kind of ‘controlled wounding’ and the skin is stimulated to begin a repair immediately. Collagen takes approximately 4-6 weeks to regenerate, so over the course of a few weeks your skin’s texture, laxity and fine lines and wrinkles start to improve.
The Dermapen® is not only a collagen booster but is also a hydrating treatment. A hyaluronic bases serum is applied to the surface of the skin to provide easier movement over the surface of the skin but it is also therefore forced into the skin as the skin is perforated. The channels can carry up to 80% more topical nutrients, allowing for treatment delivery deep into the skin to feed the underlying cells found in the dermis. This increased absorption of active ingredients into the skin sounds dreadful but believe me; this treatment is anything but uncomfortable. Prior to treatment a topical anaesthetic medium is applied to the skin for 1 hour to make the treatment more comfortable. You may experience discomfort over areas such as the forehead and bridge of the nose as it is a bony area but surprisingly areas such as under the eyes are most times completely painless! Some of our clients have actually fallen asleep during a treatment, it can be that relaxing!
“I believe the Dermapen® to be an excellent addition to any dermatological or aesthetic medical practice. Micro-needling is an established treatment modality with known benefits. The unique Dermapen® automatic micro-needling device adds new versatility with adjustable needling depth, treatment intensity, increased efficiency and the option to focus treatments on troubled areas. The device may also enhance the delivery of medical and cosmaceutical products to a more effective level in the skin. I see the Dermapen® as a primary or adjunctive treatment for skin rejuvenation, scars, skin texture, fine wrinkles, and abnormal pigmentation. I also believe the Dermapen® will potentially improve the outcome of many of my laser procedures. I have personally experienced the benefits of the Dermapen®.”**
Mark B. Taylor, MD – Gateway Aesthetic Institute and Laser Centre
Seems too good to be true don’t you think? An anti-ageing treatment indicated to lessen wrinkles, improve hydration and allow you to relax and possibly fall asleep? I can already hear the phone ringing for bookings! What’s even better about the Dermapen® is how much it can really benefit the skin and I literally have a list.
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines: There is longevity in the treatment for fine lines and wrinkles. The results occur gradually over 30 days, so you may not get the instant gratification as you might with dermal fillers but micro-needling results last at least 2 years – unlike absorbable fillers.
- Improves stretch marks: Stretch marks result from shear forces on tightened skin. When the connective tissue is stretched and tears, epidermal atrophy along the tear results. The epidermis becomes thin and the elastic fibres break and retract. Micro-needling helps thicken the skin over stretch marks, improving the contours of the epidermal surface.
- Improves Acne and surgical scars: The Dermapen® is also indicated for treating scars. The physical nature of “skin-needling” breaks up fibrous and uneven scar tissue and encourages growth of new tissue.
- Minimises pore size: The Dermapen® treatments will result in a more refined appearance of the pores. There are two main culprits that contribute to the appearance of enlarged pores. The first is congested skin. When your pores are congested, this will increase their appearance. Secondly, pores will appear larger as our skin begins to age and the elasticity of our skin decreases. The Dermapen® treatments stimulate collagen and elastin, which results in firming of the skin, thereby reducing the appearance of large pores.
The Dermapen® is a clinically proven piece of equipment as it is able to treat a variety of skin concerns on the face, neck, décolleté, hands and other parts of the body (for stretch marks) . This is made possible with the adjustable tip holding the needle points. The depth of the needle penetration has a range from 0,25mm to 2,5mm depending on what needs to be addressed. Surface penetration opens the skin long enough to allow serums to be easily penetrated as well as targeting enlarged pores and uneven textured skin. By selecting a deeper penetration we are able to target fine lines and wrinkles formed in our dermal layer as well as help improve scarring and hyperpigmentation.
In all cases regarding rejuvenation of the skin, it is recommended that you have a course of treatments to see the best results. We suggest one treatment every 4 weeks and ideally 4-6 full treatments to achieve maximum benefit from this therapy. Most clients will book their 4-6 treatments all in advance and therefore feel more committed to the treatment and its results as a whole.
So, if you are wanting a treatment that has minimal downtime and clinically proven results*, give us a call and book your Dermapen® treatment.
- Dermapen®, Microneedling-Patient Information Leaflet, The Aesthetics Centre, 2014
Written by Holly Harvey Edited by Kim Magennis
©The Aesthetics Centre May 2015