Who said you can’t age gracefully?
To this day, most people view injectables and aesthetic treatments as a one way stop to looking like an overfilled, over treated cat lady. Rest assured that this is not true. Aesthetic treatments could work in your favour. It is when your practitioner is unable to identify what it is that you truly need, or finds it acceptable to over-inject, that things tend to go wrong. Here are some tell tales of what can go wrong and some tips on choosing your treatment and specialist wisely.
Picture: popular depiction of where and how people over treat their face
We have seen many celebrities take a turn for the worst when it comes to over injecting. Even men can be over treated to look too masculine or too feminine. The trick is to do treatments that give you a refreshed, less tired and renewed look. Yes, you can ‘shave’ off some years and still look natural. The most common tell tales as per the picture above are:
- Flower-horn Forehead happens with and over injection of filler. Wrinkle relaxing injections only work on dynamic lines but often a combination of fillers and wrinkle relaxing injections are necessary. It is important to make sure your practitioner is skilled in these injections to prevent the flower-horn forehead from making an appearance.
- Broad nose/avatar nose happens when the practitioner has over injected or incorrectly injected filler when it comes to the nose. People often do these injections in place of rhinoplasty, but it is crucial that your doctor uses the correct techniques, fillers and amounts.
- Flying saucer face/pillow face happens when filler is over and incorrectly injected in more than one area of the face. The overall look could be perceived as bloated and the shape like a flying saucer. Rather treat your face in sections. If mid-face is your biggest concern, start there. This will also give you an indication of your injector’s skills. Should you feel happy and confident, you can always return for further treatment.
- Sunset eyes and chipmunk cheeks go hand in hand. The cheeks become too pronounced and can often look like you are storing food for the coming winter. This then also impacts the eyes as your filled cheeks roll right up underneath the eyes. The golden rule is, your bottom lashes should not be touching your cheeks when your face is relaxed.
- Duck lips are probably one of the most common tell tales. How often do we see celebrities or even people in the public with lips larger than life. Some people even do this intentionally as they want Angelina Jolie or Kylie Jenner lips. Just be careful. Not everyone will look good with lips like that. Keep your lips in proportion to your face. Lips that are in proportion are much more flattering than overfilled lips.
- The dagger chin happens when too much filler is injected to achievement of a more defined chin. Filler in the chin can work so well and give a nice shape and profile to the face. Just remember you can always add more after the filler has settled, but it is difficult to dissolve filler and timely to wait for it to work out. Take this step by step.
It is worth noting that once you have achieved success with the quantities and places that your filler should be injected, you won’t need to visit as often as your first few times. Each face is different, and it is all about finding what makes yours tick.
The other thing that is also a tell-tale is when your skin becomes overly sensitive from over treating it. Regular skin peels, laser treatments and needling are good, but stick within the recommended time frame to avoid your skin form over reacting.
Tips to choosing the right treatments and specialist:
- Make sure your doctor is accredited and up to date with the latest techniques. This can be done by checking their registration with the HPCSA, AAMSSA and AAAM.
- Look for reviews about the doctor and clinic on Google Business, the clinics website and social media.
- Ask to see some of the doctor’s work during your consultation and if you have hesitations, go home and think about it. Never treat when you are unsure.
- If your doctor has super cheap prices on injectables, ask yourself ‘why?’.
- Not all the treatments will be for you. There are many wonderful treatments on the market and you can’t do it all or think that what worked for your favourite celebrity, will work for you. The trick is knowing what you want and working on achieving that in the best way.
It can be daunting trying to find a place and doctor where you will be in good hands. However, your personal road of discovery can be very rewarding. It’s not just the physical change, but also how you feel about yourself that makes it so worthwhile. Contact us for more information on how to start your aesthetic journey.
Written by Danike Bouwer
©The Aesthetics Centre October 2018