Anti-wrinkle injections are for the treatment of fine wrinkles and lines in the following areas:
- Frown area between the eyes
- Eyes – crow’s feet/brow lift
- Nose – bunny lines
What is Anti-wrinkle injections?
Anti-wrinkle injections are made from a complex purified protein that is produced by the bacteria Clostridium Botulinum of the A strain.
The Aesthetics Centre uses only the original produced by Allergan and no generic products are ever substituted.
How does it work?
A tiny amount of the fluid is injected into the muscle, blocking the receptor that responds to the impulses from the nerve thus relaxing the muscle and giving the face a rejuvenated, wrinkle free appearance. It is the relaxation of the fine muscles of the face that leads to wrinkle reduction.
Please note: This treatment only works on dynamic wrinkles, not static lines. To treat static lines, you will have to consider dermal fillers, chemical peels and other resurfacing treatments.
Static lines are lines that form due to ageing muscle tissue, depleting collagen and volume within your body. Dynamic lines form due to muscle activity.
The use of these injections in the medical field is growing but we are also able to treat:
- Excessive sweating (hyperhydrosis) of the palms and axillae
- Muscle spasms
- Cluster headaches
Liquid Facelift – Anti-wrinkle injections and Dermal Filler
A buzz phrase in the aesthetic field is the “Liquid Face-lift”. This is a combination of anti-wrinkle injections and Dermal Fillers used to restore volume and smooth out fine lines and wrinkles, achieving a more youthful appearance.
How long does the results last?
The results are usually visible within 7-14 days. The effects of the injection should last up to 4-6 months, but the duration is client-specific. Repeat treatments and larger quantities of the injections tend to increase the duration of the effects.
The longevity and results is also affected by some drugs. Fat burners and other drugs that increase the body’s basal metabolic rate will decrease the time your results will last. This is because these injections are metabolised over time until it has worn off. Adding products that increase the body’s metabolic rate, causes the injections to wear off faster. It is also important to use good home care products to enhance the effects of your treatment.
Is it safe?
The Anti-wrinkle injections from Allergan has an excellent safety profile. It has been used for more than 20 years in the medical field treating neurological and ophthalmological conditions e.g. migraines and muscle spasms. There are over 2000 published trials in over 60 countries which highlight the safety of the product.
Contraindications are if:
- Neuromuscular disease
- Pregnant or breast feeding
- You are using blood thinning medications
- Active or inactive cold sores (the treatment can still be done if you use medication to prevent herpes break outs pre-and/or post-treatment)
Anti-wrinkle Injection Side Effects
- Transient redness, swelling and bruising at site of injection. Redness and swelling subsides within the day but bruising make take up to 2 weeks. However, this bruising is very slight.
- Headaches may occur in first 12 hours post injection
- Ptosis (drooping of upper eyelid) is a rare side effect and technique dependent
It is important however to choose an experienced and accredited DOCTOR and to follow post-treatment instructions.
- Do not rub the injected area immediately after the procedure
- Avoid lying down for 4 hours after the injections
- Don’t not to exercise for 24 hours after a treatment
- Usual skin care routine may be continued and make-up may be applied from the next day
What is the cost of anti-wrinkle injections?
It is quoted per unit used. This varies according to the area treated and the sex of the client. Men tend to use an average of 1.5x more than women as they have greater muscle bulk.